The Isotope Hydrology Division is engaged in hydrological investigations with isotope techniques. The Division has developed a ‘National Isotope Facility for Hydrology’ with the financial assistance from DST, GoI under its IRHPA scheme and along with a supporting grant-in-aid from KSCSTE, GoK under its SARD scheme. The infrastructural facilities developed under the facility include IRMS, HPGe, Alpha Spectroscopy system etc. and are accessible to the external agencies also.
The Division is collaborating with several R&D/Academic institutions at national level in conducting field hydrological research specific to the region. The focus of the Division is also on popularizing isotope techniques in mainstream hydrology and decision making through rigorous trainings and workshops.
To establish a Centre of Excellence Isotope Hydrology Laboratory for undertaking advanced research in the field of water resources.
- To improve the understanding of water related issues and problems using isotope techniques for sustainable development and management of water resources
- To collaborate and interact with national and international agencies/institutions in advanced research in isotope hydrology
- To create awareness and impart training to personnel from academic, R&D institutions and user departments on the use of isotope techniques to address water related issue
- Precipitaion origin and its transport mechanisms
- Surface water – groundwater interconnection
- Hydrograph separation
- Aquifer-aquifer interaction
- Groundwater recharge studies
- Soil moisture movement
- Groundwater velocity and direction
- Pollution source discrimination
- Stream flow measurement
- Seepage in dams and canals
- Sedimentation in lakes and reservoirs
- Wetland studies
Isotope based research studies were initiated in CWRDM, way back in 1980s, with investigations pertaining to soil-plant-water relationship using artificial radioactive isotopes. Subsequently, stable and radioactive isotopes of natural origin are made use of in better understanding of the hydrological cycle and its vagaries in the environment. Presently, research activities of the Division embrace the frontiers of surface water hydrology, groundwater hydrology, water management, hydrometeorology, pollution and basic research. In addition to the regular research purposes, Isotope Hydrology Division undertakes consultancy programmes as the need arises.
- Outreach programmes
- Research guidance
- WRMTP Training on Application of Isotope Tracer Techniques in water resources management
- DST sponsored short term training course on Isotope Tracer Techniques for water resources management and management
- Isotope Ratio Mass Spectrometer (IRMS)
- Ultra Low Level Liquid Scintillation Counter (ULLLSC)
- Multi Purpose Liquid Scintillation Counter
- High Purity Germanium Detector (HPGe)
- Alpha Spectroscopy System
- Gamma Ray Spectroscopy System [Na–I (Tl)]
- Laser Fluorimeter
- Portable Radiation Survey Meter
- Alpha Monitor Scintillation Counter
- Tritium Enrichment Line
- Gas Chromatograph-Mass Spectrometer (GC-MS)
- Ion Chromatograph (IC)
- High Pressure Liquid Chromatograph (HPLC)
- Mini Liquid Nitrogen Plant
- Nitrigen Gas Generator
- UV-VIS Spectrophotometer
- Ion Meter
- Flame Photometer
- Multi Parameter Water Quality Probes
- Freeze Dryer
- Bench Top Strong Shaker
- Ultra Sonicator
- Hand held G P S
- Deep Water Samplers
- Sediment Gravity Corer
- Aquachem Software- Version-10.1
- Shahul Hameed, A., Resmi T R., Suraj, S., Unnikrishnan Warrier, C., Sudheesh, M., Deshpande, R.D., 2015. Isotopic characterization and mass balance reveals groundwater recharge pattern in Chaliyar River basin, Kerala, India. Journal of Hydrology: Regional Studies, Volume 4, pp. 48–58.
- Unnikrishnan Warrier, C., Praveen Babu, M., Sudheesh, M. and Deshpande, R.D., 2015., Studies on Stable Isotopic Composition of Daily Rainfall from Kozhikode, Kerala, India’, DOI: 10.1080/10256016.2016.1103238
- R. Santhosh Kumar, Girish Gopinath, T.R. Resmi (2014) Groundwater Chemistry of an Urban Coastal Aquifer- Kerala, India. Journal of Coastal Sciences, Vol.1 (2), pp.20-25.
- Unnikrishnan Warrier, C. and Manjula, P., 2014. River-Groundwater Interaction of a Tropical Sub Basin of Bharatapuzha, Kerala, India. International Journal of Advanced Technology in Engineering and Science, Vol.2 (7), pp.382-393
- Unnikrishnan Warrier, C. and Manjula, P., 2014. Morphometric Analysis of Thuthapuzha Sub Basin, Kerala, India, International Research Journal of Sustainable Science and Engineering, Vol.2 (7), pp.1-10
- Girish Gopinath, Resmi T R and P Seralathan (2013). Assessment of groundwater quality in Kavaratti island in the Lakshadweep Archipelagos, India, Chemistry and Ecology, Vol. 29 (4), pp. 309-319; DOI:10.1080/02757540.2012.760546
- Unnikrishnan Warrier, C., Praveen Babu, M. and Manjula, P. and Shahul Hameed, A., 2013. Spatial and Temporal Variations of Natural Tritium in Precipitation of Southern India. Current Science, Vol. 105, pp. 242- 248
- UNNIKRISHNAN WARRIER, C., PRAVEEN BABU, M. (2012): A study on the spatial variations in stable isotopic composition of precipitation in a semiarid region of southern India. Hydrol. Process. Vol. 26, pp 3791-3799.
- Girish Gopinath and Resmi T R (2011). Evaluation of Groundwater Chemistry of a Central Kerala River Basin, India using Multivariate Analysis. IJES, Vol. 3, pp. 119-126.
- UNNIKRISHNAN WARRIER, C., PRAVEEN BABU, M. (2011): A comparative study on isotopic composition of precipitation in wet tropic and semi-arid stations across southern India. J. Earth Syst. Sci., pp. 1085–1094
- Unnikrishnan Warrier, C., Praveen Babu, M., Manjula, P., Velayudhan, K.T., Shahul Hameed, A. and Vasu, K., 2010. Isotopic Characterization of Dual Monsoon Precipitation-Evidence from Kerala, India. Current Science, Vol. 98, pp.1487-1495
- CHIDAMBARAM, S., PRASANNA, M.V., RAMANATHAN, A. L., VASU, K., SHAHUL HAMEED, A., UNNIKRISHNAN WARRIER,C., SRINIVASAMOORTHY, MANIVANNAN, R., TIRUMALESH, K., ANANTHAN, P. AND JOHNSONBABU, G. (2009): A study on the factors affecting the stable isotopic composition in precipitation of Tamil Nadu, India, Hydrological Processes, Vol.23, 1729-1800.
- SHAHUL HAMEED,A., UNNIKRISHNAN WARRIER, C., VELAYUDHAN, K.T. and SURAJ, S. (2009) : Hydraulic continuity between groundwater sources in the Malabar region of Kerala-Evidence from stable isotopes and Ion chemistry. In Recent trends in water research Hydrochemical and hydrological Perspective. (eds. Chidambaram,S. Ramanathan, A.L., Shivanna, K and Arthur James) I.K. International Publishing House Pvt. Ltd. New Delhi. pp.31-40
- Unnikrishnan Warrier, C., Shahul Hameed, A., Velayudhan, K.T., Manjula, P. and Vasu, K., 2009. Estimation of Sedimentation Rate in Chilika Lake, Orissa using Environmental 210pb Isotope Systematics. Journal of Applied Geochemistry, Vol. 11, pp. 102-110
- Girish Gopinath, Resmi T R, Praveenbabu M, Shahul Hameed A, Sunil P S and Rahul Rawat. 2014. Ionic Composition of a High Altitude Lake— the Schirmacher Oasis, East Antarctica. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM–2014) February 19–21, 2014, CWRDM, Kozhikode, Kerala, India. pp. 717-722.
- Resmi T R and Jacob Chacko, 2014. Multivariate Correlations of Heavy Metal Binding Phases in Varied Aquatic Environments. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM–2014) February 19–21, 2014, CWRDM, Kozhikode, Kerala, India. pp.509-519.
- Resmi T R, Sudharma K V, Shahul Hameed A (2014) Chemical and Isotopic Signals of a Tropical River in Kerala. Proc. of the 4th International Conference on Hydrology and Watershed Management (ICHWAM-2014), Hyderabad, India. pp. 560-567.
- Shahul Hameed A, Resmi T R, Deshpande R D, Praveen Babu M and Sudheesh M. 2014. Spatio-Temporal Variation of Stable Isotopes in Precipitation and Ground Level Vapour in Kerala. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM–2014) February 19–21, 2014, CWRDM, Kozhikode, Kerala, India. pp. 26-36.
- Suraj S, Resmi T R and Shahul Hameed A. 2014. Evaluation of Groundwater Chemistry of Shallow Aquifers of Malabar Region, Kerala with respect to Physiography. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM–2014) February 19–21, 2014, CWRDM, Kozhikode, Kerala, India. pp.363-372.
- Unnikrishnan Warrier C. and Manjula, P., 2014. Hydrochemical Characterisation of a Tropical Sub Basin of Bharathapuzha, Kerala, India, International Symposium on Integrated Water Resources Management, CWRDM (February 19-21, 2014), Abs.Vol.p.97
- Girish Gopinath, Shahul Hameed, A., Resmi T.R., Prgath, M., Ashitha, M.K., Seralathan, P., 2013. Groundwater chemistry along coastal and inland aquifers of Tuticorin district, Tamil Nadu, India. Proceedings of the International Conference on Integrated Water, Waste water & Isotope Hydrology ICE-WWISH -2013, July 25-27, 2013, Bangalore University, Bangalore, pp. 23-28.
- Resmi T. R., Sudheesh M., Vimala T. and Shahul Hameed, A., 2013. Quality evaluation of coastal shallow aquifers using chemical and isotope systematics. Proceedings of the International Conference on Integrated Water, Waste water & Isotope Hydrology ICE-WWISH -2013, July 25-27, 2013, Bangalore University, Bangalore, pp.21-29.
- Mrudulrag, S. K., Sui, A. S., Resmi, T. R and Shahul Hameed, A., 2012. Water Quality Variations in the Shallow Wells and Streams of Neyyar River Basin, Kerala, Proceedings of the National Seminar on ‘Sediments and sedimentary rocks: Resource potential Depositional processes, its Implications to the ecosystem and environmental changes’, December 18-21, Pondichery, India, p.121.
- Shahul Hameed, A and Resmi T. R., 2012. Origin of pollutants in the coastal shallow aquifers of an urban environment–Investigation using ionic and isotopic ratios. Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Water Quality, WQ-2012, 19-21, September, HangZhou, China, pp.26-30.
- Shahul Hameed, A., Resmi, T.R., Suraj, S.S., 2012. Estimation of groundwater by rain in a tropical river basin using stable isotope technique, Proceedings of the Vth International Groundwater Conference (IGWC 2012), 18-21 December, Aurangabad, India, pp.138.
- Unnikrishnan Warrier, C. and Manjula, P., 2012. Tracing river-groundwater Interaction of a Tropical Sub Basin of Bharathapuzha, Kerala, National Seminar on Applications of Isotopes and Radiation Technology for Societal Benefits (AIRTS-2012) June 21-23, 2012, Bangalore University. Abs.Vol. p 43.
- Girish Gopinath, Resmi T R and Santhosh Kumar, R. 2011. Evaluation of groundwater quality in coastal aquifers of Central Kerala. Proc. of the National Seminar on Coastal Hazards, Resources & Management, Mangalore University, Mangalore. Abstract Volume, P.28.
- Resmi T R (2011). Isotope Fingerprinting of a Tropical River Basin using Isotope Systematics. Proc. of the 23rd Kerala Science Congress, CESS, Thiruvananthapuram, pp.103.
- Manjula, P. and Unnikrishnan Warrier, C. (2010), Morphometric analysis of Thuthapuzha Sub Basin of Bharathapuzha, Young Environmental Researchers Conference, CWRDM (March 22-23, 2010) Abs. p 5
- Soorya, V.C., Manjula, P., Unnikrishnan Warrier, C., Resmi, T. R. (2010), Geochemical Studies Of Groundwater In Thutha Sub Basin Of Bharathapuzha. Young Environmental Researchers Conference, CWRDM (March 22-23, 2010) Abs. Vol. p. 3
- GUNNAR JACKS, MAHAAD SHAMMAS & UNNIKRISHNAN WARRIER (2008): Two costal aquifers in south asia and management options . In Global Groundwater Resources and Management (eds. Paliwal B.S). Selected Papers from The 33rd International Geological Congress, General Symposium: Hydrogeology, Oslo (Norway) Scientific Publishers (India), Jodhpur, pp. 133-140.
- NARASIMHA PRASAD, N. B., UNNIKRISHNAN WARRIER, C. & RAJAGOPALAN, S. P. (2002): Investigation for community rural drinking water supply schemes-A case study. Water and Wastewater Perspectives of developing countries, Proceedings of the International Conference, WAPDEC. (Ed: Rama Devi & Naved Sharma) IWA Publishing. p. 269-276.
Isotope-Hydro-Chemical Mapping of Two River Basins in Kerala and an Island in Lakshadweep. Report submitted to the Dept. of Science and Technology, Govt. of India
An Investigation of isotopic composition of precipitation, surface and subsurface waters and their interrelationship (submitted to Dept. of Science and Technology, Govt. of India, 2011)
First Author Publication Year Dr. Unnikrishna Warrier C 2011
Geology and age relationship of Precambrian rocks around Achankovil tectonic one, southern India: Implications for Pan-African tectonics in East Gondwana (submitted to Dept. of Science and Technology, Govt. of India, 2008)
First Author Publication Year Dr. Unnikrishna Warrier C 2008
Environmental isotope studies on the largest fresh water lake in Kerala (submitted to Board of Research in Nuclear Sciences, Dept. of Atomic Energy, 2005)
First Author Publication Year Dr. Unnikrishna Warrier C 2005
Estimation of rate and pattern of sedimentation in Chilika lake, Orissa using environmental isotope tracers (submitted to Chilika Development Authority, Govt. of Orissa. 2004)
First Author Publication Year Dr. Unnikrishna Warrier C 2004
Sand mining activities in Kolacherry Panchayat of Kannur district in Kerala State (submitted to Hon’ble High Court of Kerala, 2001)
Books and Monographs
First Author Publication Year Dr. Unnikrishna Warrier C 2013
IAEA/RCA workshop on application of radioisotopes for sediment transport studies. J. Geol. Soc. India. pp-339-340.
First Author Publication Year Dr. Unnikrishna Warrier C 2012
Jalasastra Padanangalku Isotope Rasatantram (Isotope chemistry for water resource investigations) in Sastra Keralam pp-9-11, October, 2003.
First Author Publication Year Dr. Unnikrishna Warrier C 2003
Jalvum Anubandha Paristhithi Prasnangalum (Water and related environmental issues) in Jalam Oru Nidhi (in Malaalam) published by Centre for Water Resources Development and Management, pp-81-87, March 2002.
First Author Publication Year Dr. Unnikrishna Warrier C 2002
Principal Investigator Budget Duration Dr. Resmi T R Rs. 14.76 lakhs 3 Years
Geochemical and Isotopic characterization of groundwater from the coastal aquifers of Kannur district.
Stable isotopic and geochemical characterization of groundwater from Kodungallur coast, Thrissur district
Investigation on Nutrient Fluxes and Organic Carbon Dynamics in a Mangrove Ecosystem of Northern Kerala
Principal Investigator Budget Duration Dr. Resmi T R Rs. 17.00 lakhs 3 years