Water Management (Agriculture) Division, since the inception of Centre for Water Resources Development and Management in 1978, has been envisaged to conduct research, training and consultancy on scientific agricultural water management in the State for increasing water use efficiency and agricultural production. The management of available water resources for crop production involves the study of land, soil, climate and crops, and hence, the activities of the Division are inter-disciplinary,comprising of the disciplines of Agricultural Meteorology, Plant Physiology, Soil Science, Agronomy / Horticulture and Agricultural Engineering.Various collaborative works with user departments in the State, Commodity Boards, Universities, Research Institutions, Central Government, National and International Agencies are being undertaken.
Sustainable agriculture in humid tropics through scientific land, water and biomass management.
To conduct research, training and consultancy for increasing water use efficiency and agricultural production in the State.
- Cropping systems and water use efficiency
- Crop water requirement and irrigation scheduling
- Irrigation and drainage
- Soil and water conservation
Keeping in view the overall vision and mission of the Centre in general and those of the Division in particular, research projects have been planned and implemented to optimize the use of land and water resources for increased production. Individual projects, interdisciplinary projects and those involving collaboration with other Divisions of the Centre, Departments and Commodity Boards of the State, Universities, Research Institutions, Central Government, National and International Agencies have been taken up. Training programmes and consultancy services on various aspects of agricultural water management are also being done.
Soil Science Laboratory
- Total CHNS Analyzer
- UV-Vis Spectrophotometer
- Pressure Plate Apparatus
- Flame photometer
- Electronic automatic microprocessor based distillation system (Pelican) model- DISTEL EM
- Electronic automatic Kel plus six place macro block digestion system (pelican) model-KES 06L
- Electronic acid neutralising scrubber (Pelican) model KEL VAC
- Yodder’s apparatus
- Soil Moisture Probe –Continuous measurement with data logger
- Soil Moisture Probe –Point measurement with data logger
- Portable Multiparameter water quality analyzer
- Time domain reflectometer
- Pocket penetrometer
- Deep soil penetrometer
- Willey Mill
- Soil thermometers
Plant Physiology Laboratory
- Plant canopy analyzer
- Li-Cor Portable leaf area meter
- Li-Cor Steady State Porometer
- Sap flow system
- Lux Meter
- Pressure Chamber Apparatus
- Inverted Microscope with Camera
- Refrigerated Centrifuge
- Digital Microbalance
- Laminar Flow Hood
- Deep Freeze (- 85.0° C)
- Hot Air Oven
- Table Top Platform Shaker
- Magnetic Stirrer with Hot Plate
- Inoculation Room with Laminar Air Flow Hood
- Tissue Culture Racks with Timer-controlled Lighting System
- Quartz Double Distillation Unit
- HiLoop Auto Sterilizer
- Wind Wane ,
- Open Pan Evaporimeter,
- Sunshine Recorder,
- Recording Rain gauge,
- Non recording Rain gauge,
- Stevenson’s Screen,
- Wet & Dry bulb Thermometer
- Maximum, Minimum Temperature Thermometer
- Soil Thermometer
Models and Software
- NUTMON- Nutrient Budgeting model
- CROPWAT-Water requirement of crops
- HYDRUS- Water and Nutrient movement
- INFOCROP- Crop Simulation Model
- DSSAT- Crop Simulation Model
- CENTURY – Soil Carbon Model
- Surendran U, Sushanth C M, George Mammen and Joseph E J (2015). Modelling the crop water requirement using FAO-CROPWAT and assessment of water resources for sustainable water resource management: A case study in Palakkad district of humid tropical Kerala, India. Aquatic Proceedia 4: 1211-1219.
- Surendran U, Sushanth C M, George Mammen and Joseph E J (2014). Modeling the impacts of increase in temperature on irrigation water requirements in Palakkad district – a case study in humid tropical Kerala. Journal of Water and Climate Change,5(3): 471-487, DOI:10.2166/wcc.2014.108.
- Surendran U, Lintu Maria C and Joseph E J (2013). Rainfall, Runoff, Soil and Nutrient Loss Relationships Under Cassava+ Pineapple Strip Cropping in Humid Tropical Kerala, India. Journal of Root Crops, 39 (1) : 37-41.
- Surendran U, Sandeep O, George Mammen and Joseph E J (2013). A Novel technique of magnetic treatment of saline and hard water for irrigation and its impact on cow pea growth and water properties. International Journal of Agriculture, Environment and Biotechnology, 6 (1) : 85-92.
- Lintu Maria C, Surendran U, and Joseph E J (2015). Modeling based nutrient recommendation using NUTMON – toolbox for sustenance of soil fertility in humid tropical Kerala. In: Proc. of 27th Kerala Science Congress. Alappuzha.
- Surendran U, Shijil C, Bujair V and Joseph E J (2015). Carbon Sequestration of Different Organic Amendments in Humid Tropical Soils of Kerala In: Proc. of National Seminar on Soil Resilience – 2015. Tamil Nadu Agricultural University.
- Ashitha M K, Rajeesh U, Pragath M, Girish Gopinath, Surendran U and UnnikrishnanWarrier C (2014). Physico-Chemical and Textural Characteristics of Kodai Lake Sediments, Proceedings of International Symposium on Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM-2014) , February 19-21,2014,Vol.2, pp 557-562, ISBN:978-81-8424-906-4.
- Rajeesh U, Pragath M, Girish Gopinath, Surendran U and UnnikrishnanWarrier C (2014). Elucidation of Physico-Chemical Parameters and Nutrient Load of Sediments in Pookot Lake, Wayanad, Proceedings of International Symposium on Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM-2014) , February 19-21,2014, Vol.1, pp 731-737, ISBN:978-81-8424-906-4.
- Surendran U, Lintu Maria C, Sundararajan V and Joseph E J (2014). Modeling based fertilizer prescription using NUTMON –Toolbox and DSSIFER for soils of Humid Tropical Kerala, India. In: Proc. of International Symposium on New Dimensions in Agro meteorology of Sustainable Agriculture. Pant Nagar, p 141.
- Surendran U, Lintu Maria C, Sundararajan V and Joseph E J (2014). Soil properties changes as influenced by erosion in humid tropical Kerala, India. In Proc. of International Conference on Environmental Earth Sciences : Accomplishments, Plans and Challenges, 101-102. University of Madras, Chennai.
- Surendran U, Sushanth C M, George Mammen, and Joseph E J (2014). “Crop Water Requirement Using FAO-CROPWAT Model and Assessment of Water Resources for Sustainable Water Resource Management in Kozhikode District of Humid Tropical Kerala, India, Proceedings of International Symposium on Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM-2014) , February 19-21,2014,Vol.2, pp 894-902, ISBN:978-81-8424-906-4.
- Lintu Maria C, Surendran U, and Joseph E J (2013). Influence of different levels of nutrients on soil erosion, nutrient loss and yield of tapioca in humid tropical Kerala” In : Proc of 23rd Swadeshi Science Congress held at Kottayam.
- Surendran U and Joseph E J (2013). Estimation of effective rainfall by different methods for coconut in humid tropical Kerala. In Proc. of International Conference on Impact of Climate Change on Food, Energy and Environment, 137-140, Elsevier Publishers, Satyabama University, Chennai.
- Surendran U, Lintu Maria C and Joseph E J (2013). Rainfall–runoff- soil and nutrient loss relationships for Cassava and Cassava pineapple strip cropping in humid tropical Kerala, India. In Proc. of International Conference on Tropical Roots and Tubers for Sustainable Livelihood under Changing Agro Climate, 111-112. CTCRI, Thiruvananthapuram.
- Sandeep O, Surendran U, Geroge Mammen and Joseph E J (2012). ‘Impact of magnetic treatment of irrigation water on cowpea cv. Kanakamani’. Proceedings 24th Kerala Science Congress, January 2012, RRRI, Kottayam, Kerala: 40-42.
- Surendran U, Sandeep O and Joseph E J (2012). Nutrient budgeting in brinjal for soils of humid tropics in Kerala, In Proc. of International Conference on sustainable Agriculture for Food and Livelihood security, Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana during Nov. 27-29, 2012.
- Surendran U, Sushanth C M, George Mammen, and Joseph E J (2012). Modeling the impacts of probable climate change on water resource availability in Palakkad district – A case study in humid tropical Kerala. In: International meet on Climate Change on Water resources, Karunya University, Coimbatore.
· Standardization of sugarcane cultivation Package for wet land area i.e flooded conditions
· Evaluation of different methods for reclamation of problem soil for sugarcane cultivation
· Identification of suitable micronutrient mixture for sugarcane
· Development of fertilizer package for Parry India clones PI 95-0151, PI 96-1946 & PI 96-0843
· Evaluation of Rhizagold-VAM on assessing the nutrient solubilizing ability in soil and its effect on sugarcane
· Evaluation of suitable weedicide for creeper control in sugarcane
· Soil health improvement for sugarcane
· Macro, secondary and micro nutrient requirement for sugarcane
· Micro irrigations- Drip, sprinkler and low cost irrigation techniques
· Package development for new sugarcane varieties
1. Identifying the yield gap and assessing the potential production of rice cultivars in different agro –ecological regions using crop growth simulation model- DSSAT (CERES-Rice)
2. Particulate and mineral associated organic matter influenced by humic acid and fertilizer application
3. Identification of growth regulating activity of Humic acid- A organic product (Funded by Neyveli Lignite Corporation (NLC))
4. Iron acquisition by sorghum cultivars – (Funded by CSIR)
Pilot project on Magnetic treatment of Irrigation water - Its effects on Soil Properties, Water productivity and Crop yield – Draft report
First Author Publication Year Dr. Surendran U 2012
Irrigation Scenario of Palakkad, Kozhikode, Malappuram, Wayanad, Kannur, Kasaragod, Thrissur and Kollam Districts. Reports of the Project on ‘Crop Water Requirement for Different Agroecological Zones of Kerala’ (8 reports). Submitted to State Planning Board, Thiruvananthapuram.
First Author Publication Year Dr. Surendran U 2011
Books and Monographs
Surendran U and Devarajan L. "Humic acid - An organic crop energizer" Tamil Nadu Agricultural University and CARD, Neyveli Lignite Corporation.
Surendran U and Mayalagu D. “Soil science of Somayanur series- A Colluvial soil in Tamil Nadu” Directorate of Publications, TNAU, Coimbatore.
First Author Publisher Publication Year Dr. Surendran U Directorate of Publications, TNAU, Coimbatore 2015
Surendran U, Pushpavalli R and Saravanan R. Soil reference manual for Pettavaithali command area- EID Parry (I) Ltd, Pettavaithalai, Trichy.
First Author Publisher Publication Year Dr. Surendran U EID Parry (I) Ltd, Pettavaithalai, Trichy. 2015
MadhavaChandran K, Sushanth C M, George Mammen, Surendran U and Joseph E J (2013). KanikaJalasechanam (in malayalam), CWRDM, 79p.
MadhavaChandran K, Sushanth C M, George Mammen, Surendran U and Joseph E J (2011). Drip Irrigation Manual. Centre for Water Resources Development and Management, Kozhikode, Kerala, December 2011. 80p.
Principal Investigator Budget Date of Completion Dr. Surendran U Rs. 27.34 lakhs 31-07-2018
Principal Investigator Budget Date of Completion Dr. Joseph E J Rs. 8.00 lakhs 31-07-2017
Demonstration and evaluation of drip fertigation for selected crops in Malappuram and Kozhikode districts
Evaluation of soil nutrient budgets at field, farm and regional level in humid tropics of Kerala and development of a model for management of soil health
Principal Investigator Funding Agency Budget Dr. Surendran U DST-TIFAC ; India-Austria Programme Rs. 49.43 lakhs
Soil-based plant nutrient management plan for agro ecosystems of Kerala Soil Fertility Analysis and Management – Phase II
Principal Investigator Funding Agency Budget Dr. Surendran U Dept. of Agri., GoK Rs. 17.50 lakhs
Modeling of soil nutrient assessment program : Developing a DSS for sustenance of soil fertility in humid tropics
Principal Investigator Funding Agency Budget Dr. Surendran U DST-SERB, GoI Rs. 20.2 lakhs
CWRDM Plan Funded
Pilot project on Magnetic treatment of Irrigation water - Its effects on Soil Properties, Water productivity and Crop yield
Principal Investigator Date of Completion Dr. Surendran U 31-12-2014